Subscribe via RSS Feed

BBG Research Series: Indonesia – TV Still King, Mobile and Internet Up, Radio Slides

[ 1 ] October 18, 2012 |

The BBG and Gallup released finding of their latest survey of media use in Indonesia. The data shows that access to mobile continues to climb, along with a sharp rise in web access…

Rajesh Srinivasa, Ph. D., Principal, Gallup, presents Indonesian media use data at Gallup Headquarters in Washington, DC.

As part of its ongoing research series on media use, the BBG and Gallup presented findings  from its latest survey of Indonesia.

Traditionally a strong television market, the 2012 data show Indonesians still turn to TV first. But it also shows continued growth in access to mobile phones and the media consumptions activity that go along with phone ownership. Radio, never dominant, continued to slide for news consumption.

96% of Indonesians use television at least once per week for news, but half now said they were now getting news via SMS – driven by increased access to mobile phones.

From 2011-2012, access to mobile at the household level increased from 67% to 81%, with 26% of those aged 15-24 reporting access to smartphones.

Friends and family were cited as the number two source for news on a daily basis, only slightly ahead of SMS — truly a statistical tie.

Radio lags, with just 12% reporting using the medium for news on a daily basis. Radio’s overall slide continues, with radio ownership dropping to 38% — down from 50% just two years ago.

Selected slides from the presentation:

Access to mobile heads toward nearly universal at the household level, and access to the internet, also driven by mobile, rose sharply.

Using mobile for texting (SMS) dominates, with more elaborate web-based activities among adults under 30. 24% of adults 15-24 report using smartphones; 16% of adults 25-34 report using smartphones.

SMS leads in terms of how adults share information on mobile phones, but young adults do much more, including the use of Facebook and Twitter.

The data is the result of face-to-face surveys of 3,000 Indonesians done in the country from July 1 to August 1, 2012.

View the Presentation, and watch video from the event below…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: East Asia News, International Broadcasting News, News By Region, Think Pieces

About Editor: View author profile.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. [...] Indonesians now having a mobile phone, up from 67 percent the year before, more than half now use SMS at least once a week to access news, the survey [...]

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.